Staying Positive In Trying Times
This Months Power Tool:
Acceptance: Give up control. Even for just one day. I don’t mean stop chasing your dreams or stop setting goals. I mean accept those things that you cannot control. You cannot control the thoughts or actions around you, you can only control your thoughts and actions. You can not control mother nature you can only control how you react to her.
This Months Quotables:
Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power.
~ Shirley MacLaine
Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.
~ Dr Hans Selye
Negativity can only feed on negativity.
~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
What we focus on, we empower and enlarge. Good multiplies when focused upon. Negativity multiplies when focused upon. The choice is ours: Which do we want more of?
Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.
~ Dolly Parton (aka Truvy, Steel Magnolias)
Featured Article of The Month
Staying Positive In trying Times
On the positive thinking-toolbox website I talk a lot about being positive and staying positive, but there are not a lot of articles that touch on overcoming difficult situations or how we can take a negative situation and turn it into a positive one. So, for this months article I have decided to share some very personal issues that I am experiencing and to share with you what I am doing to stay positive and move forward in my life. My hope is that I can help someone, even if it is only one of you reading this today, to pick yourself up and smile at the glory of your world.
So, what has life been like for me? Well, in the last 6 weeks, my grandmother passed away, I lost my uncle to cancer, I found out that I have severe arthritis in my neck, and my partner of 5 years and I have decided it is best we go our separate ways. Not bad for a little over a months time.
10 years ago I might have curled up in the fetal position and cried myself to sleep for days on end and push everyone around me away, but not today. Today I stand strong with a smile on my face with hopes of tomorrow on my mind. How is this, you ask? The truth is, I’m not sure when I got to be this person. I know, however, when I started the journey to this person I am today, and it all started with the decision to be happy and positive about life. Below, you will find seven things I am doing to stay positive and I hope that you will find something in this list to help you through trying times as well.
- Gratitude: What I find myself doing without effort is being grateful for my many blessings. Sure I have shed a tear or two, there is no shame in that, who wouldn’t in circumstances like these but, I have also been grateful for the brilliant relationship I have had the privilege of being apart of for the last 5 years. For the many memories I hold of those I have loved and lost. I am grateful that I have a partner that is willing to remain friends, a partner that sees our break-up as an act of love, a partner that cares as much for my hopes and dreams as she dose for her own. I am grateful that I found a doctor that is working with me to strengthen my body. I could keep adding to the list but, I think you get the point. What are you grateful for today?
- Laughter: I’ve also laughed. I’ve laughed at myself, I’ve laughed at memories I still hold of those that I care so deeply about, but can no longer be with, I’ve laughed with friends and I’ve laughed by myself. I’ve laughed through tears and I’ve laughed till I cried. Laughter really is the best medicine. If you haven’t done it lately, I recommend a dose.
- Acceptance: I accepted what was given me. I did not fight it or try to control it, I simply accepted it. It’s amazing how freeing giving up control can be. I simply decided to ride the tides life threw my way. If you don’t learn to ride the waves, if you try to fight them, they will only pull you under.
- Hope: I finding myself hopeful of my future. I look forward to becoming more social, to touching even more lives with my website. I look forward to using the lessons I’ve learned in this relationship in the next. I look forward to learning from my mistakes and teaching others how to grow from their’s. What are you hoping for?
- Love: I am loving myself by following my dreams, by surrounding myself with friends and family, by staying true to who I am. I am loving others by allowing them to be and do that which makes them happy without judgment. I am loving those around me by accepting them for exactly who they are and not for who I wish they could be.
- Prayer: I pray for those that are suffering around me, that they feel peace. I pray that those I love find the strength and the courage to be true to themselves. I pray for wisdom and insight. What will you pray for?
- Faith: I have faith in myself to do what is best for me. I have faith that I put good out into the world and it is returning to me. I have faith that my dreams are coming true, I have faith that all that is happening is for the greater good of that which is to come. I have faith that I am exactly where I need to be at this moment.
Sometimes we have to go through the hard, sticky messes in order to become the people we’ve always dreamed of being. So don’t bury yourself in the sand and don’t try to control the mess. Be grateful for it. Be grateful for the love you’ve shared, for the memories you made, and for the lessons you have learned and will learn.
Many triumphs come only after defeat. Many successes come only after failure. Many great loves come only after heartbreak. Just because something happens you did not expect or did not plan, does not mean it has to be a negative, it is just the opposite if you will only allow it to be. It is the start of something new and beautiful.
Newest updates at the positive thinking-toolbox website
Ask a Question, Get an Answer. I added this section to the website a couple months ago and recently received the first submission. I encourage you to read the question and the answer I gave. I also encourage you to give feedback as well. We can all grow with the insights of others. This is the part of the website I like to call Help and Be helped.
If you have a question you would like an answer to please share it. You never know how many others will benefit from it. To ask a question or to give some feedback to those who are in search of an answer please visit
ask a question, get an answer
New! Comments Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.